This year in senior English, we have been exploring the human psyche through mythological literature, such as Grimm's Fairy Tales and Robert Bly’s Iron John. After reading these texts, we reflected on our personal experiences through writing pieces, which range from losing the peace of mind we had as children to unleashing our inner beasts.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Turn Into Something Else
By Jordan Jones-Wright

            “Jordan, call your dad. Big Momma has passed away,” said Mr. Monahan. I immediately hugged Mr. Monahan and broke down in tears. Although Big Momma was 97-years-old and had clearly lived a full life, I was angry at death, the world, and even God. This devastating news was an awful way to start off the week before EHS. My dad told me I would have to miss the biggest football game of the year and also the first two days of basketball tryouts to come home for the funeral. It seemed like my entire world was falling apart, and there was nothing I could do about it. I felt like a prince in one of our many fairy tales who had been transformed by a wicked witch into a lifeless, hollow shell.
            I woke up every morning that week with puffy eyes, a red nose, and a bad attitude. I walked to my classes extremely slowly with an expressionless face. Whenever somebody tried to speak to me, I could barely formulate real words. The only sounds I could make were moans, groans and grunts from the emotional pain I was feeling. My face was covered with nasty red pimples that I couldn’t help but pop every night. My clothes were more wrinkled than usual, and my hair was unkempt. This evil witch named Death, had captured me and transformed me into a dull, unhygienic, and rude zombie. However, I knew all I needed was Big Momma’s love and toughness to break this curse. 
            “Baby, don’t you worry about me. You stay up there at that school and get your education. I’m gone be all right.” These were the last words I ever heard her say. Unfortunately, she would never hear my response. I missed her call so she left a voicemail and after that day her hearing and health diminished greatly. Although it saddens me that I did not have a conversation with her that day, that voice mail gave me enough strength to defeat the curse Death had placed on me. I learned at the end of it all, Big Momma was right. She was going to be all right, and now she’s in a better place and watching over me.