This year in senior English, we have been exploring the human psyche through mythological literature, such as Grimm's Fairy Tales and Robert Bly’s Iron John. After reading these texts, we reflected on our personal experiences through writing pieces, which range from losing the peace of mind we had as children to unleashing our inner beasts.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014


Deception of Love

By Graham Tyler


As I lay awake at night letting my mind run free, an image comes to me. A beautiful girl comes to light out of the fog. Her radiance shines and breaks the cloud layer. The light emanating from her body wards away the dark and the evil. They cower in her brilliance. Even her shadow has the bliss of her body. Her beautiful form is captivating and absolutely gorgeous. It seems to be an angel gracing the presence of my young eyes, a splendid miracle few people get to witness in their lives. She looks at me sending chills through my spine. Her eyes pierce even the darkest most mysterious reaches of my soul. Past everything: the bullshit, the fake, the real, and my defenses. With one look she leaves me defenseless.
She beckons me to come to her, my mouth opens but no word is said. My mind is running wild, the ideas are there but nothing comes from my mouth. All of a sudden a voice whispers in my ear, “I understand."  A sigh of relief passes over. I open my eyes and she is standing next to me, captivated.
The world stops, reality dissipates into a timeless void of affection. Her flirtatious demeanor has me biting at every moment. The desire grows, my heart feels the power. I search her eyes for a sign in return. I see it, we both realize one cannot keep it in any longer. An explosion of quick kisses matches the intensity and fire residing in the pockets of our hearts. A fire is ignited deep within. It burns towards the surface as we learn about each other’s feelings for the other. This is the greatest magic that any human can know of. The magic of love.
However love is not really the magic I was experiencing.  This magic was a deception. The power of love hides reality. It produces a magical shroud, a mist hanging low over a valley which blinding the wanderer. Love's power can be both good and evil. The angel in your dreams will leave you when the lust dies. The deception initiated by love is a power in its own right. She left me, and I am on solid land again, wondering what happened. Nothing can save you from the deception of love.