This year in senior English, we have been exploring the human psyche through mythological literature, such as Grimm's Fairy Tales and Robert Bly’s Iron John. After reading these texts, we reflected on our personal experiences through writing pieces, which range from losing the peace of mind we had as children to unleashing our inner beasts.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Katabasis
By Paul Parker

A couple years ago, my parents gave me the privilege to use my family’s seventeen-foot boat after I passed my boater exam. The boat gave me a huge sense of freedom. I was able to go practically wherever I wanted to go and do whatever I wanted on the water. Whether it was pulling friends on the inter-tube, boating a couple of miles offshore to catch fish, or, in more simpler terms, getting away from reality, I cherished my boat and everything that came along with it.
            It wasn’t till this past summer when I made a thoughtless decision that cost me my boat privilege and my status. On the regrettable night, I drove my boat with some of my buddies to a party on Figure Eight Island, and I chose to ignore my parents' curfew and instead came back hours late. And just like that, I lost it all.
            No longer having access to the boat keys profoundly impacted me. I realized that the boat was one thing, but my status of having and using the boat was another thing. After my parents made it clear that I wasn’t going to be able to use the boat for the rest of summer, I was put back into my childhood days. Seventeen years young and desperate for freedom, I felt like I was thirteen years old again. I lost the amazing feeling of being on top of the world. I also wasn’t able to see certain friends anymore, nor was I able to go fishing. I wasn’t the person anymore that I used to be. Rather than picking up girls and friends to go on boat-cruises, I was doing yard-work and other chores so I could re-gain the trust I once had. For the most part, that’s how I spent most of my summer days.
            After spending my summer days doing harsh chores and being on my very best behavior, I gained my privilege of using the boat back, my status that I had dearly missed, and had also gained some wisdom along the road of ashes. Ultimately, I learned to think about the consequences of my ideas before I do anything. Needless to say, I’ve managed to stay out of trouble ever since.