This year in senior English, we have been exploring the human psyche through mythological literature, such as Grimm's Fairy Tales and Robert Bly’s Iron John. After reading these texts, we reflected on our personal experiences through writing pieces, which range from losing the peace of mind we had as children to unleashing our inner beasts.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

My Inner Wolf
By Davis Cornett


            As the bus door sprung open, I sprinted out the door after my friend. He could not keep his mouth shut, and now he needed to pay. I went after him with a bright red face, gritting my teeth. He should have known better than to make fun of me in front of a group of older girls. My so-called friend was as good as dead!
             My eyes locked onto my prey as I chased it down with the desire of devouring it with no mercy. Thank God, nobody other than a few kids were around, and we were just at a bus stop waiting for our parents. For a minute, it was like we were in a deep dark forest; I chased him down the trail, the scent of his fear getting closer and closer. I lunged out, my hands gripped his shirt and pulled him back within striking distance.
             My fist closed up and I swung and smacked him on the back a couple of times as hard as I could.
      “Why are you doing this?” he asked.
       “I told you to keep your mouth shut!”
        “Every time I tell you a secret, you tell everyone. You’re not a good friend” Smack! Smack! Two more punches to the body.
          “You always overreact, I hate you!” he screamed.
         I soon realized that I wasn’t in a forest but on a playground as my friend began weeping and crying. My inner wolf had just scared the crap out of a friend, and a sudden feeling of sorrow and empathy filled my body. What had I just done to my friend? I put my head down in shame and began to walk away while everyone looked at me in shock.

          Wow, I thought in shock looking back at what just happened. When I got home I took a look at my face in the mirror to make sure there wasn’t anything different. Ever since, I have worked to control my inner wolf from taking over me; because, when it does get out, it can be quite dangerous.