This year in senior English, we have been exploring the human psyche through mythological literature, such as Grimm's Fairy Tales and Robert Bly’s Iron John. After reading these texts, we reflected on our personal experiences through writing pieces, which range from losing the peace of mind we had as children to unleashing our inner beasts.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Katabasis
By Jared Hash

            Back in the sixth grade, I had a stuttering problem which made it hard for me to make friends and I was quiet, lonely, and sad. In my mind, school became a black void I had to encounter every day.  However, a girl named Kate was always the light at the end of the dark void. Kate was my Golden Woman. My goals were to show her how badly I wanted her and to be able take her to the middle school dance. Kate was beautiful and I would be stupid to think other guys wouldn’t be going for her, but I was too blinded by her perfection to take that into account.
            Just after lunch ended, I saw Kate walking back to her locker with her usual crew. “This is my chance” I thought. I did face some obstacles though. My breathing accentuated and my heart fluttered. I was nervous but my infatuation would soon take that off.
            Kate was at her locker getting ready for afternoon classes and I thought to myself “well here goes nothing.” I don’t think I’ve ever been more nervous. Sweat began to build as my throat closed and my insides began to broil. Something deep within my psyche told me no, but I looked at her and she was golden. My mind was set. I went in for the kill. “K-k-kate… would you l-like to go to do the dance with m-me?”
            She just stood there with a blank expression. I couldn’t tell how she felt but I felt valiant and settled that she was thinking about saying yes and how good we would look at the dance together. The faint showings of a smirk began to appear and then all of a sudden I heard giggles sprouting from Kate. I didn’t know what was happening so I just began to smile and laugh with her. But then, everybody else chimed in. I was lost. Suddenly, complete silence. “I would never go to the dance with someone like you.” Then Kate just walked away.
            I simply stood there trying to comprehend what was going on. Did she really just tell me no? How could she just brush me off like I was nothing? My mind began to spiral down into the dark places of my mind. The katabasis I was experiencing was something I’ve never felt before, and it hit hard. How could she? I mustered up everything I had to ask her and she just blew me away like I was nothing. I started to feel like what she treated me as; shit. I began to hate her. She was no longer golden in my mind. Her golden tint developed a swampy green coloration, and I began to view her as the ugliest, most grotesque thing ever. Gold never lasts.