This year in senior English, we have been exploring the human psyche through mythological literature, such as Grimm's Fairy Tales and Robert Bly’s Iron John. After reading these texts, we reflected on our personal experiences through writing pieces, which range from losing the peace of mind we had as children to unleashing our inner beasts.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Girl Problems
By Ryan Kim

            In middle school I attended a few of my school’s arranged dance parties. I remember walking into the gym and admiring the paper streamers that adorned the ceiling. The top 100 hits of 2009 blared out of speakers next to the DJ’s booth. These dances were the premier event on the middle school social calendar, but I was an awkward five-feet tall and wore glasses, and I had the fashion sense of a brain-dead monkey. This left me with very little confidence. But the girls took a liking to me anyway, and before I knew it, I was in the middle of the dance floor doing the Cha Cha slide.
            After that dance I felt and acted like a completely new person. I outfitted my closet almost entirely with Aeropostale and Abercrombie and Fitch. My friends told me that the aura of pure doucherey I was giving off was stronger than the cologne I had begun wearing. Kids who I knew to be socially awkward became inferior in my eyes. I didn’t care that not so long ago I had been one of those social pariahs. I felt invincible with the digits of several girls in my phone.
            There was one girl in my grade who refused to talk to me. In fact she barely acknowledged my existence. Her name was Allie. I had approached her about a date multiple times with about as much tact as a drunken elephant. Finally one time I decided to bring her some flowers. She finally relented and agreed to to a movie with me on friday. That friday we settled down in the back of the theatre to watch some random action movie. Once the movie picked up I went in for a kiss, which was the limit of my experience. She relented, but with clear trepidation. I then tentatively moved my hand up to her breast. She immediately slapped it away with a shriek and dumped her soda all over my lap before storming out. My face burned so hot you could have fried an egg on my cheeks. The laughter from those who witnessed my humiliation rang in my ears as I called my mother to pick me up. I couldn’t sleep that night. I couldn’t begin to imagine what the other kids in my grade would think.
            News of my humiliation spread like wildfire through my grade. The next week at school the girls cast looks of pure disgust at me. My guy friends on the other hand found my predicament hilarious. They took every opportunity possible to poke fun at me. They jokingly called me names from "strike-out" to "lap-stain." In one night I had lost my self-perceived status as social king, and I was once again at the bottom of the social totem pole.
            One day at lunch my friends advised me to go apologize to Allie. I knew I had to make amends for my heinous actions. I walked over to where she was sitting and gave her a heartfelt apology. It killed me to have to apologize in front of all of her friends, and this latest public humiliation only compounded the previous night's mistake. I felt my face begin to burn once again, and I looked at my feet unable to maintain eye contact with Allie. I turned away quickly and went back to my table after delivering my apology. Allie called me that night and forgave me because I’d had the courage to apologize to her in front of her friends. I asked her if I could possibly take her out again to make up for our last date, and to my surprise she agreed.
            Just like the princess in the fairy tale I had been flaunting my golden ball. My confidence with girls lead to my downfall. I had rushed to action without considering the consequences. Like the princess, I had been throwing my golden ball too close to the edge of darkness, and I ended up losing it. I was only able to get it back by apologizing to Allie in public. I dated Allie for the rest of the year, and I was always careful to think about how my actions would affect her.